Company’s President since 2015
Chairman of the Management Board since 2012
Born in: 1961
Mr Potanin currently holds the following positions:
- member of the Bureau and Management Board of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP)
- Chairman, member of the Presidium of the National Council on Corporate Governance (NCCG);
- Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Norilsk Development Agency
- member of the Board of Trustees of the Russian Geographical Society
- member of the Board of Endowment for Education, Science and Culture
- Deputy Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Russian International Olympic University
- member of the Board of Trustees of St Petersburg University and the Graduate School of Management of St Petersburg University
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Night Time Hockey League, a non-profit amateur hockey foundation
- member of the Board of Trustees of the Moscow Church Construction Foundation
- member of the Public Council of the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation
- member of the Research Advisory Council of the Prosecutor General’s Office of the Russian Federation
- Graduated from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO) in 1983 with a degree in International Economics
Professional track record:
- 1983–1990: USSR Ministry of Foreign Trade
- 1990: became President of the Interros Foreign Trade Association
- 1992–1993: Vice President, then President of the International Company for Finance and Investments (MFK), a banking institution
- 1993: became President of UNEXIM Bank and Chairman of MFK’s Board of Directors
- 14 August 1996–17 March 1997: First Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation Government. Mr Potanin was in charge of economic matters and coordinated work of the Ministry of Economy of the Russian Federation, State Committee for Antimonopoly Policy, State Committee for State Property Management, Russian Federal Property Fund, Federal Office for Insolvency (Bankruptcy), Federal Commission for the Securities Market, Federal Energy Commission
- During his term in office, Mr Potanin headed about twenty federal, governmental and interagency commissions, including the Government Commission on Financial and Monetary Policy, the Ad Hoc Commission under the Government of the Russian Federation on Improving the Payment and Settlement System, the Interagency Commission of the Russian Federation on Cooperation with International Financial and Economic Organisations and the Group of Seven. He was also Russia’s Governor at the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- In May 1997, he became President of UNEXIM Bank
- On 26 May 1998, following the reorganisation of the UNEXIM-MFK-Renaissance Group, he became President and Chairman of the Board of Directors at Interros. 2013—present: President at Interros Holding Company
- 2008–2012: member of the Russian Government’s Competition and Entrepreneurship Council
- December 2012—June 2015: CEO and Chairman of the Management Board at Nornickel. Since 2015, President and Chairman of the Management Board at Nornickel
In 1999, Mr Potanin established the Vladimir Potanin Foundation, a non-profit charitable organisation whose mandate is to carry out socially significant long-term educational and cultural projects in Russia.
Since December 2001, Mr Potanin has been a member of the Board of Trustees of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation (New York).
Since April 2003, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the State Hermitage Museum. Mr Potanin donated USD 5 m to the Hermitage Endowment Fund.
Since 2006, he has been Deputy Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO). Mr Potanin donated approximately USD 6.5 m to the MGIMO Endowment Foundation.
As a member of the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation from 2006 to 2014, Mr Potanin headed its philanthropy, charity and volunteer commissions, as well as commissions for the development of charity and improvement of legislation on non-commercial organisations. Under his leadership, these commissions introduced a number of initiatives that have significantly improved the legal framework for charity operations in Russia. In particular, together with the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation, the Federal Law On Procedure of Establishment and Use of Special Purpose Endowments by Non-Commercial Organisations was developed and put in place in 2007; amendments to the Tax Code relating to non-commercial organisations and charity as a whole were introduced as well as amendments to the Law On Advertising promoting social advertising
In 2010, Mr Potanin announced his decision to donate most of his fortune to charity. In 2013, he joined Giving Pledge, an international philanthropic initiative.
2007–2012: member of the Presidium of the Russian President’s Council for the Development of Physical Culture and Sports, High-Achievement Sports, Preparation and Staging of the XXII Winter Olympic Games and XI Paralympic Games in Sochi in 2014. He is a member of the Council of Trustees and the Board of the Russian Olympians Foundation, as well as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the ROZA Club for Sport Development and Support.
2007–2014: member of the Supervisory Board of the Sochi 2014 Steering Committee. In August 2007, by the decree of the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin, Vladimir Potanin was awarded the Order of Merit to the Fatherland (4th class) for actively promoting Sochi’s bid to host the XXII Winter Olympic Games in 2014. In 2014, he was awarded the Order of Alexander Nevsky for taking part in organising, preparing and holding the Sochi Games.
He has received several government awards, such as a medal «In Commemoration of the 850th Anniversary of Moscow» and «In Commemoration of the 300th Anniversary of St Petersburg».
His services to the Russian Orthodox Church were marked with the Order of Saint Vladimir (3rd and 2nd classes), the Order of St Sergius of Radonezh (3rd and 2nd classes), the Order of Holy Prince Daniel of Moscow (2nd class), the Patriarchal Award of St Barbara the Great-Martyr (1st class). In March 2012, he was awarded the Order of St Seraphim of Sarov (1st class).
In September 2002, he received the Badge of Honour for Philanthropy and Charity from the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation.
He was awarded the 2003 Prize of the International Foundation for the Unity of Orthodox Christian Nations.
In January 2007, Mr Potanin was honoured by the French Ministry of Culture and Communications with the title of Officer in the Order of Arts and Letters.
In December 2009, the Russian Imperial House awarded Vladimir Potanin with the Order of St Anna (2nd class) for service to his country and the Russian Orthodox Church.
In September 2010, President of Cyprus Demetris Christofias awarded Mr Potanin the State Diploma and the Golden Olive Branch in gratitude for his profound contribution to the development of cultural links and fostering friendly relations between Russia and Cyprus.
In March 2012, he was awarded the Order of St Seraphim of Sarov (1st class).
In November 2012, the Archbishop of Nova Justiniana and All Cyprus Chrysostomos II awarded Mr Potanin the Order of St Paul the Apostle for his social and humanitarian activities in support of the church.
In 2016, Vladimir Potanin was awarded the Order of Merit to the Fatherland (3th class).